Cities Alliance Issues Second Call for Proposals for the Catalytic Fund
[2 April 2012] - The Cities Alliance Secretariat is currently accepting proposals for funding under its Catalytic Fund, dedicated to the theme "Youth and the City: Challenges of and Visions for Demographic Change". Through this thematic call the CA underscores its commitment towards those that constitute the future of a city. See also Catalytic Fund Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
The Catalytic Fund is currently accepting proposals for projects related to youth in cities. Photo: Dana Smillie/World Bank
- To raise awareness of the role of youth in urban development at a time when cities, grappling with an historic urbanisation process, appear ill-prepared to provide improved governance, meaningful representation, or economic and social roles for their youthful populations.
- To select and support, both technically and financially, innovative youth-focused urban projects and to revisit traditional Cities Alliance areas such as city development strategies, slum upgrading and national policies on urban development with an emphasis on youth.
- To provide a flexible platform for successful projects to develop peer-to-peer learning networks and to systematically extract and share knowledge that both informs and influences urban practices as well as policy dialogues at the local, national and global level.
- The integration of a youth perspective into participatory urban planning methodologies and slum upgrading;
- Projects streamlining the role of youth to address urban challenges such as local economic development, climate change adaptation, and basic services; and
- Projects with an urban focus involving youth organisations and/or with a strong youth component.
- The proposed project must meet the objectives of the Call and the Catalytic Fund, and fall within the scope of the Cities Alliance Charter.
- The proposed project must be implemented in countries that are on the OECD DAC List of Aid Recipients.
- Grant size requests must be limited to between US $50,000 – US $250,000.
- At least one Cities Alliance Member must sponsor the proposed project. Multiple sponsors are strongly encouraged. The sponsor(s) should be contacted prior to submission of the proposed project. Proponent and sponsor(s) should also have discussed and endorsed the Concept Note of the proposed project including the role of the sponsor(s) prior to submission.
- The national government must have no-objection to the proposed project.
- Deadline. The deadline for submission is 30 April 2012 at midnight (Washington DC time).
- Format. All submissions must use the Cities Alliance Concept Note template.
- Language. Concept Notes can be in English, French, Portuguese or Spanish.
- Submission via e-mail. Concept Notes should be submitted via e-mail only to the Cities Alliance Secretariat at CATF@citiesalliance.org by the 30 April 2012 deadline.