CG Meeting Reports - Berlin
Broad-based political, financial and technical support for the Cities Alliance was expressed during its inaugural meetings held in Berlin on December 16-17, 1999.
Hosted by Ms. Heidemarie Wieczorek-Zeul, German Minister for Economic Cooperation and Development, the meetings began the evening of December 16, 1999 with the launching of the Cities Without Slums initiative of the Cities Alliance. The highlight was the participation of President Nelson Mandela, who committed himself to take an active role in serving as Patron of the Cities Without Slums initiative.
The first meeting of the Cities Alliance Consultative Group was held the following day, December 17, during which the Alliance partners discussed and came to consensus on most elements of the Charter that will govern the Alliance. The Consultative Group established the framework for a global public policy forum of cities and their development partners to support achieving the goals of the Alliance. The Consultative Group also agreed on procedures to approve the initial Work Programme and on holding its next meeting mid-year in 2000.
In attendance during the Inaugural Meetings were representatives of fourteen governments, the political heads of the world's major international associations of local authorities, several other mayors, and five multilateral organisations. The list of participants is provided in Annex 1.
Initial financial pledges were announced by six governments, totaling US$5.75 million towards the US$40 million, three-year fundraising target. The World Bank and UNCHS (Habitat) have contributed an additional US$4.5 million towards startup and Secretariat costs.
Initial pledges are summarised below, and summaries of both meetings follow:
- Initial Pledges to the Cities Alliance
- Inaugural Meeting of the Cities Alliance: Launching of the Cities Without Slums Action Plan. December 16, 1999
- First Meeting of the Cities Alliance Consultative Group, December 17, 1999
- Summary of Discussion on Draft Charter
List of Participants:
- Inaugural Meeting of the Cities Alliance: Launching of the Cities Without Slums Action Plan, December 16, 1999
- First Meeting of the Cities Alliance Consultative Group, December 17, 1999 (PDF, 118 kb)