Distance Learning Course: Abridged Version
This publication comprises the key ideas of a set of modules first published as the Distance Learning Course on Integrated Slum Upgrading Actions at the request of the National Housing Secretariat of the Brazilian Ministry of Cities, in partnership with the Cities Alliance.
The aim of this initiative, which received the support of the University of São Paulo and the World Bank Institute (WBI), is to train municipal technical staff to develop and qualify investment projects for irregular settlements as set forth in the Growth Acceleration Programme (PAC).
The publication is based on an award-winning distance learning course on integrated slum upgrading initiated by the Brazilian Ministry of Cities and organised in conjunction with the University of São Paulo. First offered in August 2008, the three-month course was conducted by a multi-disciplinary team of academics, all with strong practical experience. It covered different aspects of slum upgrading, including the national policy framework, environmental legislation, social participation, cost calculation, project design, and monitoring and evaluation.
Distance Learning Course: Abridged Version is a bilingual publication with English and Portuguese text side by side.
Download the full text
- Distance Learning Course: Abridged Version (6.19 MB )
Download by section
- Foreword, Table of Contents and Introduction (3.17 MB )
- Chapter 1: Integrated Action Plan for Informal Settlements (1.74 MB )
- Chapter 2: Tenure regularisation (1.68 MB )
- Chapter 3: Definition of intervention guidelines (1.72 MB )
- Chapter 4: Social work and participation (1.84 MB )
- Chapter 5: Specific norms and methodology for projects and works concerned with urbanisation and environmental recovery of informal settlements (2.41 MB )
- Chapter 6: Planning, management and control of works (1.81 MB )
- Chapter 7: Monitoring and evaluation of integrated action programmes in informal settlements (1.79 MB )
- Glossary and Bibliography (1.61 MB )